Written by vwalke on January 26, 2011
I’m thrilled to be done with this quilt! It has been a work in progress for several years and I desperately wanted to finish it before my 5 year old daughter outgrew the theme. I’m so pleased with how it turned out. The fabric is a Moda Mary Englebreit print. I can’t remember the title of the line. Darn it. This is one of the reasons why I decided to blog! I really want a record of all the things I’m making and what I used. One of my goals for the future of this blog is to show the process not just the finished project.
I used the Colorwork Sunbonnets from Designs By JuJu. They were beautiful to stitch out and the moment I saw the designs I knew what my project would be. I decided on the fabric and pulled thread colors from stash of embroidery thread that matched the colors in the fabric. Then, I could quickly switch out thread colors without thinking to much about it matching. The only thing I had to worry about was not using the same color combinations over and over. For instance, I didn’t want to end up with too many pink dresses. I definitely have some favorites. I love the girl blowing bubbles and so does Andrea. It’s the one she always looked for when I would pull this quilt out to work on it.
I quilted the entire quilt with simple swirls using my Janome MC 6600 on the Little Gracie II quilt frame I picked up on Craigslist. The only complaint I have is the limitations of the throat space on my machine. In the beginning I have about 6 inches of quilting space. By the end, as the quilt rolls I only end up with about 3 inches. This is something you must keep in mind when deciding on a pattern to quilt.
One problem with taking so long to complete a project, especially this quilt is that I didn’t buy the quilt back at the same time I bought the original fabric. A couple of weeks ago when I went to get the backing I had a very hard time finding anything I’d be happy with. I was looking for yellow but could find anything with the right tone. Then I found this green gingham. I love it!! Fortunately, I had a charm pack from the same Mary Englebreit fabric so I could piece the back.
The binding is a Moda fabric called Marble dots. Yay! I’m finished!